2001 Policy on Arts and Culture
Introduced in 2001
- to provide reference point to Namibia
- To get stimulation through interenational contacts and exchange to overcome the effects of years of isolation in order to preserve and promote local cultural expressions
- to ensure regional and international integration
- To encourage arts and culture to take new forms of use new media and technology, especially to attract and engage the young, so that we have a sense of our roots, but also engage in contemporary expressions and ways of life.
- to be congnizance of practices in all our cultures, which must be changed, especially when these are in conflict with the rights enshrined in our Constitution or with internationally accpeted ethics or the common good or environmental limitations.
- To give a special status to our arts and culture practitioners, including minority groups and people with disabilities
- To encourage government to offer at least four bursaries to disadvantaged and deserving people to study in the field of arts and culture annually.
This policy or measure has been implemented in cooperation through responsible Ministry and local cultural institutions engaged in the development of arts and culture in Namibia.
- Stimulation of cultural expressions through international contacts and exchange to overcome the effects of years of isolation, in order to preserve and promote local cultural expressions.
- Increased regional and international integration.
- New cultural forms using new media and technology.
- Attraction and engagement of the young to have a sense of our roots.
- Have more engagement in contemporary expressions and ways of life.
- Abolishing negative cultural practices that conflict with the rights enshrined in our Constitution or with internationally accepted ethics or the common good or environmental limitations practices in all local cultures.
- Have a special status for local arts and culture practitioners.
- Have more support programmes for minority groups and people with disabilities.
- Provision of bursaries to disadvantaged and deserving people to study in the field of arts and culture.
The measure is funded by Government of the Republic of Namibia.