Atelier sur la ratification de la Convention pour la sauvegarde du patrimoine culturel immatériel
• Enable the beneficiary countries to safeguard their intangible cultural heritage through effective implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, thereby contributing to sustainable development.
• Promote better visibility of intangible cultural heritage, awareness of its significance and function in society, and mutual respect for the heritage of others, thereby fostering cultural diversity, intercultural dialogue and a culture of peace.
• To assist beneficiary countries to ratify the Convention and meet their national obligations under the Convention, in particular with regards to safeguarding measures.
• To increase their possibilities to benefit from the mechanisms of international cooperation established by the Convention, including International Assistance from the Intangible Cultural Heritage Fund.
• To build up a critical mass of national capacity, both in government institutions and in civil society, so that the beneficiary countries will have a sustainable framework for safeguarding intangible heritage and implementing the Convention.
Activities of technical assistance for the beneficiary countries will take place, especially with the National Commissions for UNESCO and the National Committees for the Safeguarding of the intangible heritage.
The training workshop will focus on the ratification and implementation of the 2003 Convention.
Participants: Representatives from cultural institutions, NGOs and community representatives, including representatives from cultural institutions of the Netherlands Antilles.