Creation of the Service Agency “Creative Spaces”
- revitalisation of neglected urban spaces in the City of Vienna
- encouragement of a favourable environment for artists, scientists and creative entrepreneurs by facilitating the search for flexible and affordable (temporary) working spaces
With its establishment of the service agency “creative spaces”, the City of Vienna strives to bridge the missing link between owners of vacant buildings, rooms, and other not-used premises and creative entrepreneurs and artists searching for inexpensive spaces in which to work.
This agency aims to facilitate temporary use of vacant urban spaces by artists, cultural workers, science workers, creative entrepreneurs, and start-ups from the creative industries. The idea is for vacant spaces to be rented out to these stakeholders on favourable terms for a previously agreed-upon period.
In practice, the service agency functions as central information and communication hub between the different stakeholders,
- providing targeted communication and comprehensive consultancy services to assist potential owners and users of vacant urban spaces in their search, and conceptualization of projects to use vacant spaces;
- promoting and coordinating networking and cooperation between the relevant stakeholders on the issue of temporary use, including public bodies of the City of Vienna active in areas such as urban planning, finance, and economic development, the Economic Chamber and the Chamber of Labour, and interest groups representing the creative industries and cultural associations;
- creating synergies with existing offerings in Vienna such as the Areal Renewal Offices, the project “lively streets and places”, and the project “one time – several times”.
- pursuing communication and public relations activities to enhance awareness of the potential benefits of vacant spaces’ temporary use to the concerned stakeholders, including the resident population.
Following a public procurement procedure, the agency has been in operation since 2016. It was preceded by a study commissioned by the City of Vienna on “Perspectives on Vacant Spaces”. This initiative is a joint project of the municipal departments responsible for financial affairs, economic affairs, urban development, transport, cultural affairs, and science.
- an increase in the number of temporarily used urban spaces by artists and creative entrepreneurs
- creation of sustainable cooperation platforms for temporary uses
- increased awareness of the benefits of temporary uses
At the time being the initiative is set up for three years with a budget of EUR 450,000, provided jointly by the municipal departments for financing and economy, for urban development and transport, and for culture of the City of Vienna.