The UAE's Culture Agenda 2031, launched in 2018, has seven strategic objectives and 75 strategic initiatives. An overarching theme relevant to each of the seven strategic objectives is the digital environment as it plays an important part in the fulfillment of each of the objectives by improving access to and discoverability of cultural content and enabling cultural exchanges. The strategic objectives of the Culture Agenda which support the provision of strong digital environment are the following:
* Provide high-quality cultural infrastructure
* Build a holistic and sustainable cultural ecosystem
* Introduce the concept of the cultural and creative industries in the UAE
Among the strategic initiatives, the following three will directly contribute to the modernization of the cultural industries in the digital environment:
* Provide high quality and effective infrastructure, ecosystem and regulations to support cultural initiatives
* Support the establishment of cultural markets (digital and non-digital)
* Assess the IP system to support the cultural sector
The UAE, through its National Commission for Education, Culture and Science, is working with international partners on the preparation of an IP manual including best practices from around the globe.
Multiple workshops have been held with freelancers and civil society organizations to understand their needs and challenges, including those relating to working in the digital environment.
Start-up accelerators with a focus on technology, such as Sheraa, have developed a focus to support creative SMEs.
The transition of cultural activities to digital platforms in early 2020 due to the COVID19 pandemic has further reinforced the importance of building a comprehensive framework for the digital cultural economy, providing the necessary protections, and thereby empowering digital creativity. The Ministry of Culture and Youth has made this a priority for the cultural sector moving forward.