DIVERSE STORIES and diverCITYLAB: Promotion of (post)migrant art and culture production
- promote the mainstreaming of (post)migrant art and cultural production
- support career development of migrant artists and artists with intercultural backgrounds
- raise awareness for emerging talents of culturally diverse origins and their potential to enrich the diversity of cultural content offered
“DIVERSE GESCHICHTEN – Drehbücher zwischen den Kulturen” [Diverse Stories – Screenplays between Cultures] supports the development of screenplays by writers with intercultural backgrounds and promotes their networking with directors and producers. The programme consists of workshops, lectures, and individual coaching sessions for a period of eleven months. The objective is to support the development of a particular treatment or screenplay for a feature film or film series. In cooperation with the European programme BABLYON, an audio-visual development programme assisting filmmakers of culturally diverse origins, participating writers may furthermore be awarded a studio residency during the film festivals in Cannes and London. After the realization of a screenplay’s first version, a public presentation is organized in the form of staged readings with renowned Austrian actors. After that, an intensive phase of helping the writers to interest producers in their projects concludes the programme. Every year, between eight and ten screenplay projects are selected for participation. The call for applications is open to first- and second-generation migrant writers and scriptwriters living in Austria.
“diverCITYLAB: PERFORMANCE and THEATRElab” was initiated in 2013 in cooperation with Werk X (a Viennese theatre) to promote (post)migrant theatre. The diverCITYLAB Academy offers emerging talents with or without migratory backgrounds a three-year course of training in acting, supports them in entering the independent theatre market during their last year of training, and enables them to participate in at least two productions on domestic and international stages. Furthermore, the diverCITYLAB scholarships and scholarship projects support migrant artists in their efforts to establish themselves in Vienna and connect with the local art scene. This project aims to mainstream (post)migrant theatre and ensure that the faces, bodies, voices, and stories presented in theatre reflect social reality.
- support for the realization of 8 to 10 treatments for screenplays by writers of diverse cultural origins and the process of preparing them for the market
- establishment of cooperation between writers and directors or producers for at least 4 to 5 projects
- realization of at least one feature film of film series based on a screenplay by participants of the projects
- implementation of 2 scholarship projects each year
- realization of 1 film project or 1–2theatre productions, including touring with this production, in alternate years
- realization of 1 performance project each year
- participation of students of the diverCITYLAB Academy at a production of WERK X (a Viennese theatre) every second year
- further co-productions and arts education projects
EUR 73.000 per year, provided by the Vienna Film Funds, Culture Department of Lower Austria, Austrian Film Institute, Art and Culture Division of the Federal Chancellery, Literar-Mechana (copyright collecting society) and VDFS (Collecting Society of Audio-visual Authors and Actors).
EUR 100,000 for four years, provided by the Municipal Apartment for Cultural Affairs of the City of Vienna. Furthermore the cooperation partner Werk X provides facilities for rehearsals.