The Ministry of Community Development has been keen to include in its strategic plans many initiatives, activities and events that serve and develop the work of associations of public interest. One of the most prominent of these initiatives is the organization of an annual forum for associations of public benefit discussing their work and providing solutions to overcome the difficulties and challenges they face in the delivery of their objectives.
Furthermore, the Ministry devoted a set of additional initiatives aimed at developing associations of public benefit as follows:
* Launched the Excellence Award for Associations of Public Benefit to encourage associations in the UAE to adopt high standards of excellence and quality in the services and programs they provide to the public. The system incorporates a system of performance management in line with best practices.
* Launched a National Volunteering Framework and Policy to encourage all members of society, individuals and institutions, to organize and encourage volunteering initiatives in the country, and prepare a national database on volunteers and volunteering opportunities.
During the first strategic session, the Ministry implemented 3 forums, as follows:
* The first forum for associations was held with the aim of reaching a better understanding of the role of associations, volunteer work in general, and how to build strategic partnerships between the public, private, and non-profit sectors. During this forum, several workshops and training courses were implemented, including the modern management of civil organizations, successful strategic planning for NGOs.
* In its second session, the forum dealt with the role of social responsibility and its contribution to civil society programs. The forum discussed the role of effective management and leadership on the success of associations. Training was also provided in areas of capacity building and financial management.
* At the third session of the forum, discussions revolved around effective contribution of civil society organizations in the alleviation of societal challenges such as unemployment and poverty. It also discussed the role of women in civil society and the role of Boards of Directors in building effective associations.
The Ministry of Community Development is responsible for associations in general and has provided the necessary support to make these organizations as effective as possible for the service of the community. Since 2019, the Ministry of Culture and Youth has started working with the Ministry of Community Development to study the current situation of cultural non-profit organizations. A study is currently being developed with the aim to implement policy and programmatic solutions to nurture the role of association in the growth of the cultural sector.