The two-stage script writing competition IF SHE CAN SEE IT, SHE CAN BE IT, is a joint initiative of drehbuchFORUM Wien, Austrian Film Institute and FC Gloria (NPO association aiming to actively support, empower and connect female filmmakers).
Eligible to the programme are script authors and debut script authors of Austrian or EEA (European Economic Area) nationality with permanent residence in Austria. The aim of the competition is to support authors in the development of differentiated and innovative female characters beyond the usual cliches in order to bring more diversity and new role models to the scripts and cinemas. The competition aims at providing financial security to authors, enabling them to develop their ideas without having to adjust to the principles of the free market.
* social and economic security for authors and film makers
* increased visibility of differentiated and innovative female characters; possibility to develop diverse stories
* transformation of male-dominated production landscape
* 15 screenwriters were each awarded 5,000 EUR (5,500 USD), and the main prize of 15,000 EUR (16,000 USD) was awarded three times.
* high submission rate by female authors: 215 exposes of all genres were submitted, 75 per cent were submitted by female, 25 per cent by male authors. Feedback suggests further that the competition encourages authors to develop diverse stories and characters.
* involvement of female producers in the pitching process providing "first look possibility"; several involvements of female producers in the committee of the pitching process resulted in job promotion
* international recognition as good practice model; development of similar projects in Germany and Switzerland; participation in international events such as on the occasion of the Berlinale "The Other Story. Feminist scripts in cinema now, inspiration."
* 20 awards worth EUR 5,000 / USD 5,500/ each
* 3 awards worth EUR 15,000 / USD 16,000/ each
* Additional script development support of EUR 1,500 / USD 1,600 in phase 1 and EUR 3,000 / USD 3,200 in phase 2
|Nom du partenaire||Type d'entité|
Austrian Film Institute / gender*in*equality
FC GLORIA Frauen Vernetzung Film
Organisation de la société civile (OSC)