The implementation of a National Plan for the Promotion of Books and Reading is mandated by the Organic Law of Culture through article 120.
With inputs from the private sector and national and international associations, national reading plans, the academy and the Regional Centre for the Promotion of Books in Latin America and the Caribbean CERLALC (in Spanish) sponsored by UNESCO, the "Jose de la Cuadra National Plan for the Promotion of Books and Reading", was launched in late 2017. It was considered a priority project for the Ministry of Culture and Heritage and therefore its actions were planned for 4 years (2018-2021).
It seeks to facilitate access to books and reading, through the promotion of free creation, the dissemination of literary heritage and ancestral knowledge, in order to increase access to cultural and scientific knowledge. It is aimed at improving the reading habits of Ecuadorians. Its purpose is to foster the habit of reading and the ability to enjoy it, as a mechanism for the full exercise of the right to education and culture, and as a liberating element for individuals enabling them to generate and develop their capacities for their benefit and that of society.
General Objective: Promoting the habit of reading as an indispensable tool for the insertion into the world of knowledge and culture, as well as for the use of spare time, by using mechanisms such as incentivizing and promoting the publishing sector.
* Stimulating the reading habits of citizens of all age groups with diverse training activities.
* Promoting the publishing sector by means of good practices in the production, distribution and circulation of products and services.
* Accompanying the progress of the incorporation of reading habits in the target population.
The National Plan for the Promotion of Books and Reading is currently under redesign, in coordination with CERLALC and the Organization of Ibero-American States (OEI), to establish a policy that connects the library system with the education system, and, thus, make reading one of the foundations of the connection between the education sector and culture and heritage.
Since its launch in 2018 to date, the following activities have been carried out:
* Book Day Celebration
* Culture Day Celebration
* Children's Fair
* Ecuador -- Colombia Binational Fair
* Participation of Ecuador in Lima's International Fair
* Participation of Ecuador in Bogota's International Fair
* Participation of Ecuador in Guadalajara's International Fair
* Participation of Ecuador in Montevideo's International Fair
* "Quito, ciudad que lee" (Quito, a city that reads) Tale Marathon
* Quito International Book Fair
* Regional fairs in the cities of Cuenca, Manta, Riobamba
* Printing of books for nationwide distribution
* Coordination with the Ministry of Economic Social Inclusion for the printing of books in Braille for people with visual disabilities
* Reading promotion through "Tambos de Lectura" (Reading Shelters).
To date, 360,842 beneficiaries nationwide have received books by national authors and a citizen oriented reading promotion through activities to get books and reading closer to children, adolescents, young people, adults, seniors, migrants and priority care groups (pregnant and nursing women, persons with disabilities, persons deprived of their liberty and those suffering from catastrophic or highly complex diseases), with special attention to teachers and potential reading and writing mediators.
The Presidency of the CERLALC Council was undertaken by Ecuador in November 2019 for the 2020 - 2021 period.
Investment in dollars to date.
Year Investment in Dollars
2018 US$ 3,591,551.24
2019 US$ 800,983.78
TOTAL US$ 4,392,535.02
|Nom du partenaire||Type d'entité|
Ecuadorian Book Chamber
Organisation de la société civile (OSC)
Association of Independent Publishers
Organisation de la société civile (OSC)
Ministry of Education
Ministry of Economic and Social Inclusion
Organization of Ibero-American States