The main objectives of holding International Film Festivals are:
* To cater for the cultural and linguistic needs of the people of Mauritius.
* To create awareness amongst Mauritians about the various facets and cultures of other countries.
* To encourage interactions between professionals and our local aspiring filmmakers and film buffs.
* To present Mauritius as a potential film shooting destination through our unique flavored combination of world-class diverse locations and excellent one stop shop services.
* To encourage cultural bonds between Mauritius and the partnering countries.
International Film Festivals enhance the reputation of the Mauritian Film Industry and open doors for film makers in various countries, to come and shoot in Mauritius. It promotes the idea of film making and explores cultures of different countries. A lot of filmmakers who are present at film festivals in Mauritius, contribute to promote Mauritius as a touristic and film shooting destination.
In the context of the 50th Anniversary of the Independence of Mauritius which coincided with the 50th Anniversary of the diplomatic relations between Mauritius and Japan/ Russia/ Egypt, the MFDC has collaborated with the different Embassies for the holding of several film festivals. Details are as below:
Date Film Festival by Country No of Documentaries/FIlm Screened
March 2018 Japanese Film Festival 5
March/April 2018 Russian Film Festival 6
May 2018 Egyptian Film Festival 2
In the context of the celebrations of the 70th Anniversary of the People's Republic of China, the MFDC in collaboration with the China Cultural Centre organized the china film week in October 2019, and on that occasion, six (6) feature films were screened to a nonpaying audience.
Japanese Film Festival 1,345 USD
Russian Film Festival 2,055 USD
Egyptian Film Festival 1,690 USD
Chinese Film Festival 2,355 USD
|Nom du partenaire||Type d'entité|
Ministry of Arts and Cultural Heritage
Embassies/ High Commissions
International Film Festivals decentralize the world of film. It is a meeting place for filmmakers around the world in its variety, different approaches and forms, as well as a medium of expression. Film festivals offer filmmakers a platform to introduce their work and discuss topics shown in the film as well as the filmmaking process. Hence, such festivals encourage and create dialogue between filmmakers therefore discovering a new sight on cinema and its creativity. It also enables networking in the sector and lobbying for bringing foreign crews for shooting in the country.