Participation in international programs
Participation in international programs, generally, has as its objective in approach European cultural standards and to strengthen Montenegrin cultural scene and its artistic production. The activities in this measure refer to numerous programs, especially in EU, among which the following programs are the most important:
- Creative Europe as a program of EU Commission for cultural and audio and visual sector, has as key objectives: aid for cultural and creative sector for usage of the possibilities of digital era and globalization; enabling the sector to reach economic potential along with contribution to sustainable development, employment and social cohesion; support for access to new international possibilities, markets and audience.
- Europe for Citizens - the objectives of participation in this program are: contribution to civic understanding of EU, its history and diversity; the promotion of European citizenship and improvement civic and democratic participation at European level; to raise awareness of memories, common past and values; stimulus of democratic participation of citizens at European level through development of understanding of EU process of policy creation through promotion of opportunities for social and intercultural involvement and volunteering.
- IPA EU program, ArtVision project - IPA is new framework for pre-accession help for candidate countries among which is Montenegro. Key objectives of participation in this program, through project ArtVision, refer to: networking of cultural scenes of countries participating in this project, stimulus and support for new productions in the field of visual arts, increased mobility of artists, networking of cultural institutions and Arts Faculties, the exchange of experiences, positive practices and common research activity.
- Anna Lindh Foundation – the development of intercultural dialogue in the area of Europe and the Mediterranean; improvement of tolerance and mutual respect among cultures, as well as support to civil society, international networking of NGOs, institutions, individuals.
Within this measure, Ministry of Culture, based on signed documents, implements the programs as institution coordinator in charge of promotion and implementation of the above mentioned programs in Montenegro. Therefore, the activities of this measure are: dissemination of information and education about available programs, propositions and criteria for applying, announcing of program public calls, conducting websites, organization of Info Days and seminars, direct consultations, logistic and professional help, monitoring and evaluation, workshops for intercultural dialogue (through projects of Anna Lindh Foundation). By such activities and by participation of Montenegrin institutions of culture and civil society organizations, cultural sector strengthening is stimulated and preconditions for its more dynamic and more open development are created, in terms of contemporary trends and trans-border networking and exchange of ideas and expressions.
The expected results of this measure implementation, among other things, are: Enhanced capacities of programs users for realization of new projects; Strengthening of the base for creation of new sector policies; Improvement of cultural and artistic production; Internationalization of creativity and increased mobility of artists.
By participating in such EU programs new partnerships are created continuously, deals are made about co-production and common activities at international level are implemented (project in which participated: Royal Theater, Cetinje; National library, Cetinje, NGO Expeditio, Kotor, etc). Also, participating in international programs has aim to improve dialogue and co-operation of public institutions, civil sector and creative industries and their involvement in the domain of research and public policies. Besides, results expected refer to exchange between cultural workers and institutions. Creative industries are also important segment, where the results in the domain of improvement of creative and production capacities are expected,considering underdevelopment and unused potentials in that field.
One of the key challenges in Montenegrin culture is the fact that the sector relies chiefly on national funds and certain means allocated by municipalities for culture. It is through this measure that participation in other sources of financing and donorship from international programs intended for culture are promoted.
Finances allocated for implementation of this measure refer to annual contribution for membership in such programs or individual projects (IPA ArtVision).
- Annual contribution paid by Ministry for participating in Creative Europe program for 2014 was 25.000 euros, and for 2015 and 2016, 60.000euros each.
- Europe for Citizens, form the budget has been allocated total of 45.000 euros for annual contributions for 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Anna Lindh Foundation, for the realization of the programs and projects in the network of this foundation in Montenegro, the financial contribution of Ministry was around 2.000 euros, while the Foundation itself donated around 20.000 euros.
- IPA, ArtVision – total budget for Montenegro, in this IPA Adriatic trans-border regional program which was realized in the period 2013.-2015., was 377.350,00 euros, of which the participation of the budget was 15 %.
Evaluation of the measure was conducted at national level through annual work report of the Ministry. One of the conclusions, and which is mentioned also in the Program of Cultural Development of Montenegro, is inadequate utilization of potentials of international programs and funds. As some of the reasons, human and professional capacities are mentioned as well as the challenges facing the civil sector when applying for this programs and funds.