Policy on arts and culture
Ministry of Youth, National Service, Sport and Culture
National Museum of Namibia
College of the Arts
National Art Gallery of Namibia
National Theatre of Namibia
The National Arts Council
National Heritage Council
John Muafangejo Arts Center
Objectifs clefs de la mesure:
Introduced in 2001
Introduced in 2001
The aim of this policy was:
- (To promote unity in diversity, give all Namibians a sense of identity and pride in their own creative talents, and to improve the quality of life.
- To uphold unity in diversity.
- To safeguard, extend and promote our physical, linguistic and spiritual heritage.
- To promote widespread cultural and artistic expression.
Périmètre de la mesure:
Local, Regional, National
Principale caractéristique de la mesure:
The policy on arts and culture has been implemented through the Directorate of Heritage and Culture Programmes and the Directorate of Arts in the Ministry responsible for Arts and Culture. These two Directorates have several national institutions linked to them that ran arts and culture programmes on a professional level and therefore help in the implementation of the policy.
Challenges identified in the implementation of this measure:
- Coordinating the implementing efforts becomes at times a daunting task for the two Directorates due to the fact that there are too many implementing agencies.
- Another challenge is how to clearly define and articulate what arts and culture entail, which should be accepted by all traditions.
- It is not well articulated how arts and culture can be used to create jobs and generate income to improve the quality of life.
- Many arts managers, arts practitioners and others think that the policy is not a practical and useful reference point for their organizations.
- Many of such people think that the policy is outdated and needs to be reviewed.
- Many people think that the policy is not a benchmark for the overall sector in which their organizations/institutions operate.
Ressources financières allouées à la mise en œuvre de la mesure:
Indicateurs utilisés pour déterminer l’impact:
There has been a widespread promotion and development of artistic and cultural expression due to the enabling environment that has been created.Indicator: Number of people with access to arts and culture activities and events; number of people employed in the sector, formal and non-formal; number of people visit arts and culture institutions/organizations.Institutions and organizations that were in existence before the introduction of the policy have grown tremendously.Indicator: Number of employees they have and programs they run.The number of people involved in arts and culture industry has increased significantly.The number of people involved in arts and culture industry has increased significantly.Indicator: Number of men and women in the industry, formal and non-formal.New institutions such as the Arts Council are up and running and thus making a significant contribution to the growth of the industry.Indicator: Number of arts and culture practitioners assisted financially since the establishment of the Arts Fund, which is administered by the Council.There is a notable degree of cultural tolerance among the Namibian people as evidenced during annual cultural festivals, which is an indication that unity in diversity is upheld.Indicator: The popularity of cultural festivals resulted in the increase of cultural groups that participate at all levels i.e. constituency, regional and national.The number of participants in sponsored arts and culture events increased.Indicator: Number of people who participated in sponsored arts and culture events outside the country has increased.The policy of national reconciliation is upheld and is contributing to nation building.Indicator: Peace and stability prevails in Namibia.
Domaine(s) de suivi