Promotion of artistic expressions through National Ensembles: National Symphony Orchestra, National Ballet, Folklore Ensemble, National Choir, National Youth Symphony Orchestra and Children Chorus
Stimulate, encourage and promote creative activity in musical arts fields in vocal and symphonic versions, performing dance including classical and folk through the following national ensembles: National Symphony Orchestra, National Ballet, Folklore Ensemble, National Choir, National Youth Symphony Orchestra and Children Chorus. Furthermore, improving public access to these cultural expressions that require special care by the Government and citizenship.
Currently, the Department of National ensembles, functional office of the General Directorate of Arts and Cultural Industries, coordinates actions of various national ensembles so far have been created for the dissemination of musical arts in vocal and symphonic versions, and scenic dance (classical and folk). Furthermore, the National Symphony Orchestra, established on August 11, 1938; the National Ballet, founded in 1967; and the other ensembles of recent creation converge in the Directorate of National Ensembles.
The Regulations of Organization and Functions of the Ministry of Culture of Peru states that the Department of National Ensembles focuses on:
- Develop and propose policies and strategies of national ensembles to the General Directorate of Arts and Cultural Industries, such as: National Symphony Orchestra, National Ballet, Folklore Ensemble, National Choir, National Youth Symphony Orchestra and Children Chorus.
- Coordinate actions to position the national ensembles and artistic references to national level and international scope.
- Developing, proposing, implementing and monitoring artistic programming and management of national ensembles.
- Promote and disseminate Peruvian artists and creators work in various disciplines that perform the national ensembles.
- Contribute to the knowledge and dissemination of different genres and interpretation ways in music and dance, and the dissemination of the Peruvian repertoire, Latin American and universal.
- Promote and manage performances of national ensembles nationally and internationally with public and private institutions.
- Manage the production archive of the national ensembles.
- Promote the professional art improvement of the national ensembles members through training, exchange, among others.
- Coordinate the management and artistic programming of ensembles in regions.
- Sustain and propose the creation of new national ensembles.
Source: Directorate of National Ensembles
Reference: National Ensembles of Peru: The Future is Today
Challenges identified in the implementation of this measure: The National Ensembles have been working intensively to strengthen its outreach nationally and decentralized and also promote Peruvian cultural richness at international level.
Another major challenge is the strengthening of repertoire and standardization of production processes of performances of the National Ballet and Folklore National Ensemble as priorities in short and medium term.
Provide opportunities to national creators are other important challenge of National Ensembles. In recent years, the performances of the National Ensembles have been distributed as follows: 90% reshowings and 10% premieres. Therefore, the National Ensembles and the Ministry of Culture will promote all disciplines development, encouraging creation of major large projects that encourage participation. It will summon Peruvian composers, choreographers, musical arrangers, among others, to increase their creativity and devise world-class works made in Peru.
The number of performances of national ensembles is constantly growing from 2008 to 2010 with the creation of the Ministry of Culture and the implementation of the Directorate of National Ensembles.