The Italian Alliance for Sustainable Development was estabhlished since 2016 on the initiative of the Unipolis Foundation and the University of Rome "Tor Vergata", to raise awareness in Italian society, economic subjects and institutions the importance of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development and to mobilize them to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs - Sustainable Development Goals) through:
- the development of a culture of sustainability at all levels, orienting production and consumption models for this purpose;
analysis of the implications and opportunities for Italy related to the Agenda for sustainable development;
- the contribution for the definition of an Italian strategy aimed at achieving the SDGs (also using analytical and forecasting tools that help define policies for sustainable development) and the creation of a monitoring system for Italy's progress towards the SDGs.
The Alliance currently brings together over 270 of the most important civil society institutions and networks, such as:
- associations representing the social partners (business, trade union and third sector associations);
- networks of civil society associations that concern specific objectives (health, economic well-being, education, work, quality of the environment, gender equality, etc.);
- associations of local authorities;
- Universities and public and private research centers, and related networks;
- associations of stakeholders active in the worlds of culture and information;
- foundations and foundation networks;
- Italian stakeholders belonging to international associations and networks active on sustainable development issues.
The commitment of the ASviS materializes in specific objectives such as:
- raise awareness among public and private operators, public opinion and individual citizens on the Agenda for sustainable development, also favoring a widespread knowledge of the trends in progress with respect to the SDGs and those expected for the future through the use of all means of communication ;
- propose policies aimed at achieving the SDGs and express opinions regarding possible legislative interventions, with particular reference to overcoming the gaps between the different regions of our country and the inequalities between the various socio-economic groups;
- promote an education program for sustainable development, with particular attention to the younger generations;
- stimulate research and innovation for sustainable development, promoting the dissemination of good practices developed abroad and in Italy and of innovative proposals that come from the research system to encourage experimentation on a local and national scale, adoption by businesses and public administration;
- contribute to the preparation of adequate monitoring tools for the achievement of the Objectives in Italy, also with reference to specific stakeholder groups (companies) and local territorial contexts (communities and cities), making the most of existing systems, such as Fair Wellbeing indicators and Sustainable (BES);
- promoting the development of analytical tools useful for assessing the impact of economic, social and environmental policies and minimizing the costs of the transition to sustainability, identifying the existing trade-offs between different policies and proposing interventions to make them more favorable.
To monitor the Italian situation with respect to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, ASviS in September 2017 developed a series of original and innovative statistical and analytical tools. The data is constantly updated, always inserting new and better indicators on the 17 SDGs, as they become available. The "Asset platform", is the graphical analysis system used by ASviS which allows you to view the values and trends of over 230 basic indicators, mainly from Istat sources, divided by single Objective. The platform allows you to view each indicator in three ways: graphs, maps and tables. It is also possible to download time series, export data, perform comparisons between regions and macro-regions on multiple indicators, including those of different Goals. The platform contains the updated data for the 2019 Report (https://asvis.it/database-sugli-sdgs/).